This page records information on the history of Southfield House in Painswick. The individuals and families covered on this page have no family connection to the Jollans family.
The house probably dates from the 16th century and is amongst the oldest houses in Painswick. It has been altered many times, both internally and externally, and most of the rear part of the house is believed to be more modern. Major changes were made around the 1930s, including the demolition of a large extension at the rear.
The Garlick family seem to have owned Southfield House (then called ‘Southfields’) for most of the 19th century, although it was under Copyhold tenure and technically owned by the Manor of Painswick until bought out as freehold in 1875. Although held by the Garlick family, they did not live in it for all of this time, but they probably did for at least part of the time. The house was part of a group of properties in Painswick owned in trust for Sarah Garlick after the death of her husband the Rev. George Garlick in 1821(?). Some of these came as part of a marriage settlement when Sarah married George Garlick in 1810 and some were separately left to her in George Garlick’s will. It is not clear which group Southfield House fell into. Sarah Garlick died on Christmas Day 1874 leaving all the properties to her four surviving sons (Charles, William, Thomas and Ebenezer Garlick), subject to various charges, and William Garlick then bought out the interest of the other sons. He eventually sold Southfield House in 1900 to Arthur Meeze.
The Reverend George Garlick is recorded in Baddeley’s history of Painswick as having been Minister of the Independent Church in Gloucester Street from 1808 to 1821 and as having contributed £2 2s to the fund for the Parish Church organ in 1813. He is also shown as minister of the Independent Chapel in Painswick in the Gell and Bradshaw Gloucestershire Directory of 1820. His father was also called George Garlick and may have lived in the house before him. The August 1810 issue of ‘The Monthly Magazine or British Register’ records the marriage of the Rev. George Garlick to Miss Smith in
George’s son, William Garlick, who owned the house from 1875, was a Surgeon in
In 1875 the house was occupied by Mr. Monk and the Orchard by Mrs. Pegler. By 1900 it is described as formerly occupied by these two and ‘now in the occupation of Elizabeth A Fawcett as yearly tenant’. It seems likely that William Garlick remained in
From 1900 to 1934 the house was owned by Arthur George Meeze (1854 – 1934). He had previously lived at Halighiw in St. Mary’s Street, Painswick, on the edge of the churchyard. While living there he attracted publicity for practicing his shooting by aiming at the weathercock on the church spire. The damaged weathercock is now an exhibit at the
More positively he is known as one of the authors of a text book on Geometry ‘Notebook on practical solid or descriptive geometry: containing problems with help for solutions (1880)’. When this was issued he was described as Assistant Lecturer on Drawing, Royal School of Mines.
He had two children, Edgar and Edith, with his first wife and when she died in 1898, he re-married Sarah Ellen Large and had a further 5 children. These children, Cluthona, Alvin, Patrick, Dorothea and Theodore were born between 1904 and 1912 and grew up at Southfield House.
If you have more information about the Meeze family, or would like to contact descendants of Arthur Meeze, please use the Contact Us page.
Meeze family at Southfield House
Frank Stanley Swash owned Southfield House from 1934 to 1936 . He was an architect who had a practice at
(photo looking down Vicarage Street. Southfield House is just out of the picture on the right hand side)
Southfield House was owned principally by May Jenkin from 1953 until her death in 1979, but was also lived in by her sister-in law, Margaret Jenkin and her mother.
May Jenkin was perhaps best known as ‘Aunt Elizabeth’ on the BBC Children’s Hour radio programme, but even before that she had achieved some fame as one of the ‘Room 40’ team of codebreakers in World War I. The team was responsible for decoding the Zimmermann telegram, which was instrumental in bringing the
At the BBC she was responsible for dramatising the Toytown stories for radio on Children’s Hour, starting in 1929. For some time she was deputy to Derek Maculloch (‘Uncle Mac’) and she succeeded him as editor of Childrens Hour around 1953.
May Jenkin was the granddaughter of Fleeming Jenkin, a cable engineer and Professor of Engineering in Edinburgh, of whom Robert Louis Stevenson wrote a memoir, and the daughter of Charles Frewin Jenkin, the first Professor of Engineering at Oxford University, and a Fellow of the Royal Society.
In Painswick, May Jenkin was involved with the Country Players and directed ‘The Happy Man’ for them in 1967.
Margaret Jenkin was the mother of Patrick Jenkin, an MP and a Minister in the Heath and Thatcher Governments, now Lord Jenkin. His son, Bernard Jenkin is also now an MP.